Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sunday

I have to tell you, Robert Chunn has some new paintings available on Etsy (go to his site via the link and then click on the Etsy link)-- I love these so much that it's tempting to go buy another one... like this one:

Does it not rock? I love the two I have already.

Anyway, while I contemplate that, you can contemplate this week in the garden. Also this week, two band names seem to have dropped out of the ether into my brain: The Warhol Marilyns and Drag Ratio. I like those.





This morning, I made corn pancakes with green onions and ham for breakfast. Mike and I have found that pancakes made with coarse-ground cornmeal have a little more sticking power to last until lunch time (because lord knows by then we are just about faint with starvation, since we are both so scrawny and undernourished).

Corn Pancakes (this is enough for two)

Ingredients
1 egg
1/2 c milk or soy milk
1 T sugar
1/4 c medium to coarse ground cornmeal (I like Bob's Red Mill. They also make the coconut I use in the granola)
1/4 c flour
1 tsp BP*
*I have used this, and I have forgotten it, and I can't remember if it makes a difference. Nice recipe, huh?
Butter
(Optional: snipped green onions, chili flake, ham bits, or go sweet with blueberries or bananas.)

Tools
Non-stick or well-greased frying pan
Spatula (the yellow one)
Bowl
Whisk
1/4 c measuring cup

Method
Turn the pan on low, wipe with a little oil
Beat egg, add milk, add dry ingredients.
Make some coffee while you wait for the corn meal to soften and the pan to heat.
(Mix in optional ingredients if desired.)
Dip measuring cup in mix to make 4-5" pancakes. Cook them on the first side until bubbles on top look dry and bottom is golden brown, then flip and cook until golden on the other side.
Butter each pancake as you place it on a plate, preferably in a slightly warm oven, to wait for the others.
If sweet, serve with maple syrup, if savory, creme fraiche (my apologies for the lack of proper accents) is a nice accompaniment. Feel free to invent variations.

You can make these with green onions and chili flake in advance of a party and whip out a quick and impressive appetizer: make pancakes "silver dollar" size, with half a scoop of batter or less per pancake, cook, freeze or refrigerate, and reheat later on a baking sheet before topping with smoked salmon, creme fraiche, and a sprig of dill. Voila! You are the star!

1 comment:

r. chunn said...

Thanks for the post, Tamara.