Saturday, February 9, 2008

Turnip Triumph

Turnips are somewhat of a mystery to me. I don't think I ate a single one growing up, so it took me a while to confidently identify them in the veggie box. Still a little shaky if I have rutabagas in there, too. Turnips smell a little bit like radishes, but are, except for the tiny white Tokyo turnips, bigger. I think. (Note: Here's what Brian Lee, of Riverdog Farm advises: Regarding root vegetables: Turnips and Rutabagas can be prepared in similar fashion, but the flavors are distinct. Rutabagas usually have a purplish top with a beige bottom half (not to be confused with the purple top turnip which has a near white bottom half). Rutabagas generally are more elongated than the squat, round turnip roots. Finally, rutabagas tend to have a sweet, smoky flavor.)

Last night, I was sure that the scarlet beauty turnips were indeed turnips. I washed them and cut off the tops. I halved or quartered the turnips, according to size, and sliced them about a quarter inch thick. The tops were chopped to roughly one half inch pieces, toughest stems discarded.

We sauteed the turnip pieces in a little butter, added about two teaspoons Better than Bouillon mixed with 1/4 cup hot water. Monty threw in a half teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt, and I threw in another tablespoon of butter. When the turnips themselves were just short of tender, the tops went in and were cooked until wilted. They came out very pretty pale pink mixed with the green stems. (Lovely for Valentine's Day next week.) They were also mighty tasty. Give 'em a try.

2 comments:

best silk sheets 2020 said...

Last night, I was sure that the scarlet beauty turnips were indeed turnips. I washed them and cut off the tops. I halved or quartered the turnips, according to size, and sliced them about a quarter inch thick. The tops were chopped to roughly one half inch pieces, toughest stems discarded.
juicy couture bed set ,
palatial king duvet cover ,

sotejed said...

see this here anonymous official site you could try these out click to investigate my review here