Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Indispensable

Here are some things that I wind up using over and over again in the kitchen. Even if you don't feel like you "cook" you'll cook for yourself sometime, and these will come in handy. (I've included where you can buy them as well.)

Silicone Spatulas
The little red one, in particular, is good for getting the last bit of anything out of a bowl, narrow jar or can (think tomato paste and horseradish). It also works for mayo, mustard, and molasses and honey at the bottom of a measuring cup. I keep a well-nicked white spatula specifically for cleaning the food processor so the other ones don't get shredded. Silicone spatulas are obviously also good for every type of flipping or stirring whether or not heat is involved. Dishwasher safe.

The little thin yellow one is the king of tiny flipping. Eggs, blinis, corn pancakes, crepes, whatever. It's always either in use, or in the dishwasher, because we use it so much. What I love about it is that when I'm making corn pancakes, or any batter, for that matter, I can use it to scrape out the bowl before the last pancake. Only one utensil to wash. Thrifty and Compulsive at it again-- it drives me nuts when cooks on television don't scrape their bowls out when making recipes. "You put three tablespoons of (ingredient) in there!" I shout. "What if there's a tablespoon left!" or "There's another whole pancake in that bowl!" Ok, I don't really shout, but I think about doing the math and wonder how many hundreds of pancakes could have been saved if each and every one of them would just scrape out the bowl. I have not been able to find this specific spatula online yet. The initials on the handle are WMB. My mom got it in a store in Modesto. I will find out more if I can.

Sturdy Kitchen Shears
I use these for everything from opening zip-top packages (such as those nasty sugar-laden dried apples) to snipping chives, parsley and cilantro, cutting flowers, string, parchment paper. Absolutely everything. Even cutting up those nasty sugar-laden dried apples. My grandmother asked me once what I wanted for a present, and I said kitchen shears, and this is what I got. She thought it was a little weird at the time, but I use them a lot, and every time I look at them and use them, which I have for years, I think of my grandmother.

I don't remember exactly when I started making a point of making sure that my birthday and Christmas money went towards specific things that were practical and I knew I'd use, but I'm glad now that I did. My big dictionary, my stockpot, these shears, my good chef's knife, all came from my grandparents' gifts. My pepper grinder was a wedding gift from a good friend. She asked for one from me for her wedding, and I asked for one from her. It's always been symbolic of our friendship to me. Not that our friendship is peppery. It's simple, sturdy, and important, and it's always at hand, whether I need it or not.

Dog
Great to have on hand, or under foot as the case may be, if you don't have a dustbuster. (We are thinking of calling our next dog Underfoot.) For cleaning up small spills and flung granola bits. Easy to use.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have that spatula with WMB on it. I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond. I cannot find another one anywhere. If you them somewhere, could you please post it. My son bought the last 5 at BBB and gave them for Christmas gifts. They are hands down the best little spatula's made. Thanx...

Anonymous said...

Sorry...If you find them somewhere could you post it....Thanx

LoveBlueSkies said...

I have the spatula and love it too!! It was a gift purchased at Sur La Table.

After much research, I learned the initials stand for William Bounds. I don't think they make the cookie spatula anymore, but they still make a Sili Jumbo Jack spatula which I must have!

I just found 2 cookie spatulas on sale at Sur La Table. The blue one was item # 520254 for $3.99 and the yellow one was item # 664730 for $1.99. Happy hunting to see if they have any left!

Anonymous said...

Now I am going away to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming yet again to
read more news.
Also visit my web blog - price of cigarettes

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone...

Prepared to be deligted.

http://www.sears.com/william-bounds-sili-cookie-turner-08249/p-SPM7270014308?prdNo=29&blockNo=29&blockType=G29

Anonymous said...

That, by the way, is a link to Sears.com where they are sellig a 16 pack for $40.

Anonymous said...

My girl friend was just having the same issue of wanting to find more of this exact spatula. It is called "William Bounds silicone cookie turner". They sell for somewhere between $7 - $12 now and can be found sparingly on internet sale sites. There are also a few different colors to choose from as well. Happy hunting!

Emily said...

Thanks, everyone, for the info about the WMB spatula. I have one and it finally broke and I would love to find another one (or two or three). I can't find one online, right now, but I'm glad to know the official name so that I can search for it. :) It is listed, but unavailable on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-Bounds-Silicone-Cookie-Turner/dp/B000MGDMFW/

Unknown said...

Yup... I bought a whole bunch here in Honolulu. Only for them to dissapear out of sight. I also would appreciate any current info on finding them its now Sept. 27, 2018

Cameron said...

I know this post was put up 11 years ago, but I came across it while looking for information on my indispensable little green/yellow WmB spatula. It's getting a little ratty, so I thought "ok, time to get another one". Nope. Not available anywhere anymore. It is THE best little scraper I've got, and I've got about 9 different ones. I really hope this comes back.... Thanks for the info, all, though you'll probably never know you helped.

Unknown said...

I've been searching for this spatula as well. My boyfriend loves and wants more and I set out to find it.. can't find it anywhere. Such a shame. This is the only page where I found information on it! It is appreciated.

yanmaneee said...

birkin bag
yeezy shoes
moncler coat
nike air max 270
nike air max 90
adidas superstar
jordan shoes
huaraches
hogan outlet
nike air max 97

yanmaneee said...

yeezy
longchamp handbags
air jordan
vans
longchamp
nike air max 2017
supreme t shirt
yeezy shoes
nike max
curry 5

Jenny said...

Any new leads on this spatula? I have one from many years ago and would love to find more.

Unknown said...

I just gasped when I walked into the kitchen and saw my favorite spatula with a chunk missing! Ugh! Now I know what to look for - William Bounds. Off to hunt for a replacement!