Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Isn't She Lovely?

Voila! My new composter. Is it just me, or does it look like the maid on the Jetson's? Did she have a name, or was it just Maid? Somebody look that up for me. Wait, I looked that up myself. Her name was Rosie. I have reservations about naming my composter Rosie, since Rose is my grandmother's name. I'm not sure she'd appreciate that. I love having the little bowl on the counter for the stems and scraps that collect in the day, knowing that eventually it will all end up as some nice, nutritious stuff for my garden. There is something very satisfying about completing that circle. (That's my thrifty side and my compulsive side, wringing their little hands and contemplating the takeover of the universe.) Now that I have been overwhelmed by late season kale and turnips, the composter is going to come in handy.

In completely unrelated news, my book club, or rather, the book club that I attend, is reading Special Topics in Calamity Physics. Click on the link to visit its very unique and interesting site.

For those who want to know, here is what the garden that I planted a few Sundays ago looks like now. I added sunflowers, which were supposed to be lined up along the back (whoops, a little crazy raking must have happened) and some wildflower mix in the bare spots caused by the gophers. Whatever's been munching on my basil seems to have abated temporarily.

Oh yes, and here's today's art class piece. It is a hat, with a scarf on it, sitting on top of a wooden hat form on top of a chair which is out of perspective with another scarf draped over it. Free to good home. They can't all be trout.

No comments: