Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Send Positive Thoughts Their Way

Photo: Chesi Cooley

If you know me, then you probably know that my grandparents have lived in South Lake Tahoe for over 30 years. Yesterday was their 62nd wedding anniversary. I talked to them on the phone then, and they assured me that they were prepared, but not worried, about the fire on the Angora Ridge. Grandma said that her list of things to take included medications, money, fruit and coffee, but no family photos. Because you can't spend photos, she said jokingly. Grandpa said his list was 2 pages long. They said they hoped not to have to use it, but the car was ready to go just the same.

Today the fire was stirred by fresh winds. I was finishing my run on the treadmill at the gym when news of the fire came on. The minute the map came up and I saw Tahoe Keys on it, I jumped off and ran for my cell phone. They were just packing. They left Tahoe at 6pm, headed for their favorite place, the Red Lion Inn in Modesto. They've been going there for 30 years, too. They should be arriving in the next half hour.

I talked to them on the cellphone as they passed Placerville. They said there was little traffic going their way, and that they planned to stop for a hamburger. Grandpa is a career military man, and he is almost always calm and composed, as he was during our conversation. He seemed a little agitated that everyone was so worried. Never panicked, always prepared, that's my grandparents. They have weathered 62 years together, of great joy and terrible tragedies. They have the utmost faith in each other. My grandfather believes in my grandmother. My grandmother believes in my grandfather. They are partners for life. I wished them a safe trip, and that things would be ok upon their return. They said, "We'll take care of ourselves, and we'll let Tahoe take care of itself."

No comments: