Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?


Say, is that a humongously large zucchini you have there? (Kitchen timer included for scale.)


Abundance in the garden! In the veggie box! (This isn't even half of what came today. The oranges were from somewhere else, a few weeks ago.) In the bean barrels! Suddenly, it is summer.

Jeez, how did this turn into a blog about vegetables? Because at the moment, vegetables (and fruits) are my life. They are what is happening here in the Napa Valley. In my neck of the woods, anyway.

Yes, I am also surrounded by grapes. Right now, they are all the size of large peas, smaller than small marbles, and are very green and hard. It won't be long, though. The weather has been just what we like, except for the lack of about half of our rain. But otherwise, just right. Grapes are ready between 100 and 110 days after they bloom, which will get us started in the late part of August to mid-September, and last, depending on the weather, until mid-October. Harvest is a great time to be in the valley. It is all very exciting, even if you just like to drink wine. I'm really lucky.

Sometimes I forget that I am here in the middle of what so many people dream of seeing. I am going to work up a map of my favorite things and places and post it here. This summer, I promise.

The beans I planted a few days ago were not even bumps in the soil this morning when I left for St. Helena, and (no picture because it's dark outside) tonight there are little vines that have apparently been hard at work all day, because they have leaves and are poking right out of their little bean jackets already. Tomorrow I'll have to go find some sticks for bean teepees.

No comments: