Friday, September 12, 2008

Melon Granita

We are overwhelmed by beautiful melons from the veggie box at the moment, and this seemed like the best way to use up one or two that we couldn't get to.
Melon Granita

1 1/2 small melons, canteloupe, orange honeydew, etc.
1/4 cup sugar
fresh lemon juice to taste if desired

Cut peeled melon into chunks, place in blender, add sugar and lemon juice (if desired). Blend briefly, just until you have a slightly chunky puree. Pour into a metal cake pan and freeze. Scrape with a fork to make snow-cone textured granita. Serve with a garnish of mint leaves or a thin dutch butter cookie. An orange granita alongside a green honeydew granita would be an elegant, tasty and inexpensive dessert for a warm summer night.

The basic recipe I consulted called for 1/4 cup sugar and 1 tsp lemon juice to 2 cups melon. I used at least twice that much melon with the same amount of sugar and no lemon juice, because the melon was very sweet and I wanted the true flavor to come through. You could make this any way you like it.

That's it. It tastes absolutely divine, especially since my mouth is burning from the sriracha* on the take-out pizza we had for dinner tonight. I promise to try to photograph this some time in the next few days, as I realize I have been slacking on good food photographs since I took the photo class back in July and August.

*If you haven't tried sriracha on pizza, and you are someone who flirts with danger when it comes to the chile flakes on your pie, this may be your new best friend. Indispensable when it comes to chilis, curries and chinese peanut sauce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Where are you? I miss you! We made your pumpkin pie last night, thinking of you.