Wednesday, December 5, 2007

More Cookie Ideas

Why am I posting so many cookie recipes? This time of year, my thoughts turn straight to sweets. I think it's keeping me from actually baking them and worse, eating them. I have lost somewhere between 10 and 12 lbs, and I'm determined to hold the line through the holidays. As soon as I finish this post, I'm off to the gym.

These recipes were from Ginny Dadasovich. Ginny was the mother of a high school boyfriend of mine. She's the one I remember who cried at AT&T commercials and sad moments in sit-coms. She had a big, wide smile and a great laugh. She and her husband were great parents, kind, funny and thoughtful when it came to raising their kids. Every night after dinner, they'd take a walk together, and sort out their thoughts about any issues with the boys, so that they could present a unified front. Robbie, her son, died in a car accident a year after we broke up. Ginny made cookies at Christmas, and I copied her recipes onto 3 x 5 cards in blue ball-point pen over twenty years ago. I still have the cards.

Petticoat Tails
A simple butter cookie that is great for making up in advance. Roll in nuts, crushed peppermint candies, grated orange or lemon rind, flavoring accordingly. Or use food coloring to make two different colors and roll them together. Store cookie rolls in freezer wrapped in parchment and plastic, and cut and bake anytime.

Ingredients
1 c soft butter
1 c sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla (or other flavoring of your choice)
2 1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt

Method
Cream butter, mix in all dry.
Gather dough into a ball, place on plastic wrap.
Roll dough into a long log, about 2" thick.
Form into rounded roll or press sides square for square cookies.
If you've made two colors, cut in fourths and swap alternate corners for a checkerboard effect.
Unroll plastic wrap, sprinkle with desired coating, and press roll into coating.
Re-roll in plastic or paper and seal in plastic bag in freezer if making ahead.
Chill for 30 min to 1 hour, slice into 1/2 slices.
Bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees.

Butter Cookies
1 c butter, softened
2 c flour
1/2 sugar
1 c chopped nuts

Cream yer butter and sugar, mix in flour and nuts. Chill, roll, cut, or roll into little balls. Dust with powdered sugar when they come out of the oven.

Ginger Cookies

Ingredients
1/3 c shortening
1 c brown sugar
1 1/2 c dark molasses
2/3 c cold water
6 c flour
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger, cloves, cinnamon

Method
All I wrote was: Chill, roll, cut, so you're on your own.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes

The directions I wrote down also say:
Add one more cup of flour if making gingerbread boys. Use raisins for eyes. I do not know why boys require more flour. Maybe it makes them more sturdy.

No comments: