Thursday, March 29, 2007

Good, Fast, Cheap

Supposedly, you can only have two of these things at a time. "Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two." is how the saying goes. Doesn't apply to this recipe:

Spicy Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 clove garlic, minced
(I definitely wouldn't use 2 cloves, which is what I did. I could probably roast marshmallows with this dragon breath.)
2 T canola or olive oil + a little for adjusting texture if necessary
3 T (or one lemon's worth) lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp to 1 T sriracha or other spicy sauce, to taste. Chile flakes would also work.

Optional:
2 T ground flax seeds (I throw flax into anything I can get away with)
2 T sesame seeds + one tsp roasted sesame oil (this recipe called for tahini, which I never seem to have, so this was my substitution. Seemed to work, so if you want to try it the way I made it, this is it.)

Materials:
Food processor
Spatula

Method:
Mince garlic clove using processor
Add remaining ingredients
Blend
Scrape down sides and bottom of processor
Blend again, use oil to adjust to desired consistency
You want this to be a slightly grainy paste that can be spread or spooned with cut vegetables or pita bread.

That's it. I think kids might like it if you left out the garlic and the heat, or used roasted sweet peppers, pureed, instead of the chili paste. I think they like Action Foods: anything that requires dipping, squishing, or popping. Fries, sticks, nuggets (god forbid) and edamame come to mind.

And now I am off to breathe on my friend Kristin and her two year old at the park. I hope they survive.

4 comments:

Abbie said...

Really, who has tahini around unless recently purchased to make hummus? I've tried peanut butter as a substitute, but then one has peanut butter hummus which is gross. Roasted sesame oil and sesame seeds is a much better substitute. And for some reason I typically do have roasted sesame oil around....

Anonymous said...

How could a person not have a jar of tahini? I thought everyone had one on the bottom shelf of the fridge--it's full, minus 1-2 TBSP from a recipe you made 3 years ago. Look again, I'm sure it's there, right next to the molasses (also minus 1-2 TBSP).

travelwithbon said...

Sister is makin' Hummus with your Hummus recipe, i am sure it will be great even without the Tahini that she says she does not have.

tealoa said...

blog link replica louis vuitton her latest blog louis vuitton dolabuy check this hermes dolabuy