Sunday, June 24, 2007

This Photo Has Nothing to Do With Beans


But isn't it pretty? This flower has nothing to do with beans, or with Rancho Gordo, but I just added their link to my shopping section, and planted some more of their scarlet runner, tiger eye, and yellow eye beans in my little garden, and I wanted you to go and take a look at their stuff. I love these beans! The first time I saw them at the farmer's market, I couldn't get over them. I started picking out a mixed bag, and the person at the table gently reminded me that I should cook each variety separately so that they'd be evenly cooked. They were so beautiful, I just wanted to look at them. I did try to paint them, but watercolors don't do justice to their tiny, shiny perfection. Two years ago, at the old house, I planted them all and grew myself another batch.


That's the beans just starting up the pole behind the rainbow chard. The scarlet runners were especially gratifying. Tall, leafy plants with bright red flowers and big, meaty black and red speckled beans. (I had some texty posts all in a row, and I couldn't find the garden photo at first, so I thought I'd break it up with a canna from the big garden at the manor house.) Below, part of the big garden.

No comments: