Wednesday, June 13, 2007

How Do You Like Them Apples? I Don't.

Dear Stoneridge Orchards,
Stoneridge Orchards sounds very farmy and wholesome. Imagine my surprise when I opened the package of "Dried Granny Smith Apple Wedges" and found that they were coated with sugar, dextrose, citric acid, malic acid, ascorbic acid and sunflower oil. Yes, they are technically speaking "all natural" but they are certainly not au naturel.

I should have been wary when I read the medallion on the front which highlighted the fact that they were made from "freshly hand-picked apples" (what else would they be made of?)...which are then dried and apparently covered in sugar. I was making granola, and I had already put in as much brown sugar as I wanted, so I had to rinse the sugar off of the cut-up apples and bake it more so that they'd dry out.

My gripe is not that you choose to put sugar on the apples. Some people might like that. I would just like to have been warned. How about putting "Sweetened Dried Granny Smith Apple Wedges" on your packaging in the future?

Thank you,
Tamara Landre

No comments: