Thursday, June 14, 2007

Moving On

Ok, it's been a day since I wrote the last post. I had another great day, though the weather was hot, hot, hot.

I ate egg salad in lettuce for lunch (which is actually awesome, try it) along with some cannelloni beans that I made on Tuesday. I picked up some chicken at Trader Joe's and made some flavorful, lowfat protein for myself, i.e., Green Chicken. Turned out pretty good. We had it for dinner with a salad of raw, shaved zucchini from the garden.


Tonight when I walked to the big garden with my basket to cut some herbs (with my scissors) I was again struck by the beauty. The way the light danced around the fireworks of the onion blossoms, glinting off the visiting bees. The colors of the rainbow chard. The smell of ripe blackberries in the hot sun. I picked rosemary, flat-leaf parsley, basil, and oregano. The dwarf peach trees are starting to drop their fruit on the ground, so I picked a few of those, too. And some of those pretty blackberries. Now that they are sweet, black, and fragrant, I realize that we were just eager for summer when we thought they were ripe a couple of weeks ago. I just walked along, picking a little of this, and a little of that, looking for zucchini that will be overgrown by the next time I come to the garden, admiring the way the peppers, eggplant and tomatoes have shot up in the last week.

And you know what? I simply cannot be at war with food. Not this food. All of this beautiful produce brings me so much joy.

I came home and put all of the herbs in the food processor with some salt, garlic and olive oil and made the green chicken. I cut up the beautiful fruit and made a cobbler. And I ate a modest dinner so that when that timer rings, I can go back out to the living room and enjoy a piece.