Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mama's Little Baby Loves

Short Bread

Ingredients
1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 + 1/8 c brown sugar
2 1/4 c flour

Tools
big bowl
straight-sided cake pan, springform pan, pie tin or glass pan
flat-bottomed glass
long-tined fork

Method
Mix ingredients together with a fork, then your hands, until it holds together in a rough ball
Press into pan, using the bottom of a glass to get into the edges until it is even and flat
(You can also roll and cut this into small cookies if you like- reduce baking time)
Poke the tines of the fork all the way through the dough to the pan, making a line all the way across to divide the dough in half.
Turn pan and divide the halves in half, repeat until you have manageable slices or squares, depending on the pan.
Poke the tines of the fork part way into the dough again to create a decorative pattern of your choice.
Bake at 275 degrees until light golden brown
(Sorry I can't be more precise than that...40 minutes? You'll know it when you smell and see it.)


Optional: Melt Scharffenberger bittersweet or semisweet chocolate over a double boiler with a teaspoon of butter. Divide your pre-scored pieces with a knife or spatula, place on parchment paper and drizzle with the melted chocolate. (I used a paper circle rolled into a cone with the tip cut off, but a plastic bag would probably work better. Messy.) Refrigerate or place in a cool place to harden chocolate.

I made this shortbread for George Hendry on his 70th birthday. I found the recipe at epicurious and cut it in half, in case you were wondering about the strange measurements. It makes one 9" round about an inch thick, which is enough for anybody. Shortbread always reminds me of when my mom would make me special lunches for field trips, because she always included it. Once, the family dog jumped up on the counter and ate my special lunch-- everything except the pickles. In a moment of motherly heroism, my mom drove all the way home from work to make me a new lunch, including a new batch of shortbread, got me to the bus on time and saved the day.


I also made a flourless chocolate cake the same day, which I will post if I have time. (The recipe is inside the Scharffenberger 70% cacao chocolate box, and it's goooood.)