Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Technical Difficulties

Ok, email is back on track. I am proud to say I found the problem and fixed it. I am, however, temporarily stuck with this header image and have no way to get rid of it... maybe there's a way to edit the source code, but that seems a little scary. If I thought I was going to get stuck with this one indefinitely, I might have made it less silly.

In other realms, I dragged my sorry, just-got-over-a-cold self to the gym yesterday and today, and I am feeling better about things in general. Yesterday, I ran/walked 4 miles and today I swam 3,000 yards. I feel like a noodle, in a good way. I've been pretty steady about the gym for the last 6 months, thus the -12 lbs, but I'm feeling myself start to get bored with the routine that's been working so far. I'm ready for something else. Horseback riding maybe. I have always wanted to take lessons, and there's a place not far from my house... does that really count as working out? I don't know. I need something to breathe some fire into my routine.

Blah, blah, blah. A friend is down from Seattle, and we are waiting to drive to meet her at Filippi's Pizza Grotto. I'm waiting for pictures to load to a calendar I'm making for Christmas over at Lulu. So I'm sitting here passing the time. Just ordered some Danskos from Scrubsrack, because my old ones are just about dead. I wish Danskos could be re-heeled. Maybe this time I'll take them to the shoe repair guy (Tip Top on 2nd in Napa is great) and see if he can put a heel on them before I wear them. I doubt it, because they are plastic. These would be perfect shoes if they weren't plastic, and if they were held together by something other than staples.

The other night, Mike and I were watching a lame movie called Sweet Land. (What is an Independent Spirit Award? This movie won one.) There was one actor in it who was familiar, but everyone else was b-list. The lead actress was pretty and did a decent job. The whole plot was loosely strung together, and the premise-- that a post World War I mail-order bride who was supposed to be Norwegian showed up German-- was sort of lacking in oomph. And though the bride and groom-to-be both spoke Norwegian, they chose to communicate in English, a language neither spoke very well. But the DUMBEST thing about this fairly lame movie was the costuming. One of the farmers was wearing a new, unweathered, clean Carhart jacket with a logo throughout the movie. In two scenes, there were close-ups of the woman's foot, and she was wearing modern, plastic-heeled, staples-in-the-side Danskos. I was stretching my suspension of disbelief, trying to imagine that they really had Danskos like that in the midwest in the 1920s, but I couldn't make it work. How could they spend so much money and be so careful with everything else and then just go, "Oh, these shoes will do, no one will notice."?

The only thing dumber than that that I've seen in a movie was the time a boom mike AND the tennis shoe of the guy wearing it came down into the frame of the living room in Desert Bloom. It's a decent movie, if I recall correctly, John Voigt and awards in abundance, but it's worth renting just for the tennis shoe. It was so obvious I wouldn't have been surprised if one of the characters had said, "Mommy, why doesn't our living room have a ceiling, and why is that man sitting on the top of the wall with a microphone?"

Hey, guess what, it's time to go.

No comments: