Saturday, December 22, 2007

Something Beautiful

Did you ever play with marbles as a child? For a while, after jacks, these were all the rage at school, but (surprise) I never got into the game of marbles. It disturbed me that someone else could seize my precious beauties without warning, so after I lost my first marble (literally speaking), I stopped playing. No one takes your jacks if they win. I just loved learning the names of the different types, and holding each one up to the light. It is generally my policy to use only my own photos, and when I use someone else's, I include their name and a link to the source site. I don't know the photographer for this one, but it comes from Garnet Hill's online catalog, from which I recently purchased some lovely winter flannel sheets. I prefer the weight of the German flannels from The Company Store, but these are very nice. They also have lots of beautiful clothes (If anyone still wonders what I want for Christmas, wait until the bell-sleeve cashmere sweaters go back on sale. Or the cashmere scarves. Or the Born boots.)

I was just interrupted by YET ANOTHER telephone solicitor. Could someone please get the word out to these people that cold-calling people is NOT EFFECTIVE? This is the second time in as many weeks that the caller, when politely asked to remove us from their calling list, insisted on continuing their monologue. This one actually told me that I was "not listening" to her! How about I call you in the middle of the day, talk about what I want to talk about (which is something you don't want) and insist on finishing my conversation while you wait for me to finish? It is better for both of us if I cut this short and you remove me from your list so that you don't waste time calling here again.

Last week, angered by my co-worker's dismissal, a telephone solicitor actually called back, got me, and asked to talk to her supervisor! This was an independent person, calling us to sell us her services as a debt collector! At least we know she's persistent, even if she's not very polite. People have told me that they say, "wait just a minute" when this happens to them, then set the phone down and walk away. While that sounds very gratifying, as does telling them you'll put them on hold and then hanging up instead, I'm actually trying to be nice, and efficient, by asking to be removed from the calling list. I guess I have to learn a sweeter way of saying it that does the trick. Like what, though? I don't want to be an ass, I just want to make it stop.

Ok, back to what I was saying, I have always loved the cover photos on the Garnet Hill catalogues. I wish I could find out who the photographers are. And I was going to talk about marbles and jacks more, but my nostalgic mood is blown. Maybe another time.

Here, I googled some tips for you:
How to get rid of telemarketers 1, and 2.

No comments: