Thursday, December 20, 2007

Note to Self


Yesterday I picked my friend Maggie up from school at noon and she came over to make ornaments with me. We had a little lunch first. Maggie LOVES salad and LOVES mushrooms, she told me. We had a great time. We put googly eyes, glitter glue and sequins on our reindeer, Christmas trees and snowman.

We took the dog for a little walk while the glue was setting. Then we read three books: Skippyjon Jones Goes to the Doghouse, I Like Bugs, and Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon. Maggie had a snack of brown bread and jam (the remnants of which you can see in the picture above), then grabbed her blanky and started to look seriously nappish. And then it was time to go home. A fine time was had by all. Toward the end, I think Maggie was being a serious trouper, because I heard from her mom that she didn't feel well the rest of the day. I think she started feeling icky about halfway through and was just too excited to want to say anything.

Below are some photos of our ornaments. Sorry some are a little blurry. I think the glitter confuses the camera.








This morning, when I checked the ornaments that I made after she left, I noticed that some of the decorations had separated themselves from the ornaments, and I realized too late that glitter glue is not the best adhesive for tinfoil. As each line or dot dries, it just pops right off. I am going to try to pin some of the pieces down with Elmer's, but I'm not sure that will work either. I sent an urgent message to Maggie's mother this morning to be on the lookout for possible materials failure. If it happens, I'll get some adhesive dots or jewels (which was what the instructions recommended in the first place) and we'll have an activity for another afternoon.

No comments: