Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Tamarasicle

It's 38 degrees this morning. The frost fans came on some time in the pre-dawn hours. Once you're used to them, they don't rouse you from a sound sleep, but if you're on the edge, their droning tends to supplement the alarm clock. Any other day, I'd roll over and snuggle deeper into the covers, knowing that Mike is going to be up shortly to let the dogs out and feed them when they wake up. But this morning, all I could think about was the lake.

In a little over three days, I'll be swimming in that lake. The lake temperatures "hover in the 70s," according to the triathlon web site, but I'm thinking they are going to be hovering closer to the mid-50s or 60s this weekend. So I got up and made a Dutch Baby with strawberries and blueberries, and let Mike sleep in.

*****
By the way, here is the simplest possible recipe for a Dutch Baby:

Preheat oven to 425
Melt 1/2 stick butter in cast iron pan
Vigorously whisk together 4 eggs, 1/2 c milk, 1/2 c flour
Swirl butter around pan edges
Pour in batter gently
Place in oven
Set timer for 20 minutes
Remove when golden, sprinkle with lemon juice and powdered sugar

*****
A friend, who is also doing the event, and I are going out to swim it this afternoon, in full gear: rashguard, tri-shorts, cap, goggles, wetsuits, maybe even earplugs to keep the icy water from swishing in and out of our ear canals. (Doesn't that just give you the shivers?) She's done it once and said it was cold, cold, cold. That was last week when it was 90 degrees. Why can't it be 90 degrees this week?

I'm doing something I've always want to do. I need to find a pace I can maintain and enjoy the ride. I'm doing something I've always want to do. I need to find a pace I can maintain and enjoy the ride. I'm doing something I've always want to do. I need to find a pace I can maintain and enjoy the ride. That's my mantra. Gotta suit up and go for a run now; the natives are getting restless. Wish me luck!

PS- The baby birdies hatched! They are tiny and fuzzy and so vulnerable in this cold weather. We are trying to spend minimum time in the backyard so that mama bird can stay on the nest and keep them warm as much as possible. I couldn't resist a quick peek, though. Yesterday I saw one yawn, and his little yellow mouth was no bigger than my pinkie nail when it was wide open. When they are bigger and the weather is warmer, I'll try (carefully) to get a picture.

No comments: