Thursday, April 23, 2009

Precious

Some little birdies tried to build a nest in a basket in the breezeway, where the dogs sometimes sleep during the day, so we moved it around the corner to another wall, in the hopes of discouraging them from finishing the nest and laying their eggs.

A day or so later, I went out the back door and caught a flutter out of the corner of my eye as a bird vacated the basket we'd hung above the original one with the exposed nest still in it. I carefully peeked inside the basket, and look what I saw:

Four precious little eggs in their brand-new stick and grass nest. Not as cushy as the first nest, but I guess it will do. We are very careful now not to disturb the mama bird or linger outside during the cool morning and evening hours, so that she doesn't stay away from the nest when the eggs might catch a chill. The nest is above the concrete patio, so I'm thinking I might have to put some kind of pillow or padding below the nest before they start peeping, just in case somebody falls out.

No comments: