Thursday, October 16, 2008

By The Way

I'm not really reading Divisidero by Michael Ondaatje, yet. I've gone back to My Stroke of Insight.
***
Keep a big watering can in your shower and use it to catch the water as you're waiting for it to warm up each day. It also helps to remind you to water your plants. At least it does me. I have one pot on the front porch that always used to get neglected in the scorching summer, now it doesn't.
***
Reduce, reuse, recycle. If you are overwhelmed by the options, try reducing your use of little things, like shampoo, fabric softener, detergent, to see how little will actually do the job. I now use the small scoop from protein powder for detergent, and only one third of a fabric softener. I use a boatload of conditioner, but hardly any shampoo or body soap. No need to deprive yourself, just see what works. It may be a lot less than you think.

***
And while we're on hygiene, it's taken me a year, but I've fully adjusted to organic cotton, applicator-less tampons, which reduce waste and resources used. And I've switched to washable glad rags for night. (More than you need to know, I know, but I felt I should say something.) Mike is using a replaceable blade razor instead of buying packs of disposables.