Saturday, October 11, 2008

Where is My Hybrid?

Subaru, Subaru, Subaru…where is my hybrid???

I am currently the owner of a Subaru Impreza WRX, and I love my car (28-30 mpg still beats out all hybrid SUVs). If I had my choice, I would only buy Subarus. But Subaru is seriously lagging in getting into the hybrid market, and it seems that all they can offer is excuses. Batteries are not ideal, but they seem to work fine for the Prius, and all the other hybrids. Toyota, Lexus, Ford and Honda aren’t claiming that they can’t get them, or that the technology isn’t there yet. The article is full of facts and figures, all sorts of smoke-and-mirrors “education” attempting to mask the fact that Subaru doesn’t have an answer for the hybrid market and didn’t really do its homework. What's the real story?

Subaru drivers pride themselves in being sporty, outdoorsy, environmentally-correct types. We are the perfect market for the sporty hybrid wagon (that sort of looks like a shoe) you’ve so elaborately described in your article on HEVs.

So WHERE IS IT??

Even though our cars are fuel-efficient, very soon we’re all going to feel just a little bit more guilty (as though we don't already) that we’re not driving something less harmful to the environment and more economical. One by one, Subaru drivers are going to switch to hybrids. Will you be there for us, or keep making excuses?

No comments: