Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Clean Team



In case you want to start cleaning your house with "earth-friendly" products and don't want to have to go through the trial and error period, here's what I use:

The Creamy Cleanser is my favorite for anything in the bathroom or kitchen, especially stuff that needs to be shiny after cleaning: shower, sink, chrome, even mirrors. We use the Citrus Magic (my favorite one is actually yellow, but this is the right label) for almost everything else: floors, counters, etc. We tried a couple of dishwashing powders before finding the Wave liquid. We also use an earth-friendly rinse-aid, but it's not as crucial with the liquid. The powders left a residue for us. We just tried the Meyers Clean Day toilet cleaner-- if anyone knows a better one, let me know.

There are all sorts of recipes readily available for baking soda concoctions, vinegar cleaners, etc., so I won't list them here. If you only get one thing, get the creamy cleanser. Once you use these types of products for a while, even Windex smells harsh, and you'll realize how chemically strong (and usually unnecessary) all that stuff is. We still keep carpet cleaner and similar specialty products on hand in case a stain is too tough, but these are our regular players.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OXO cleaner (like oxyclean) works great on carpets, clothes stains, etc, and I think it's kind of natural. Uses CO2 to clean. I even use it in my carpet shampooer and it works better than any commercial stuff, also doesn't stink up your house.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!