Thursday, May 31, 2007

Eat Me


Have you seen the new M&M commercials? Is it just me, or are M&Ms with hair a bad idea? Somehow my brain could accept them with little arms and legs, but the hair is ookie.
Hair + food = hair in mouth = bad.

On their site "Planet M&M's" (sic) you can create your own custom-designed candies, and even make a virtual candy that looks like yourself. (That's delicious yellow peanut me above.)

I have to hand it to them for creativity. This is only one of the many games/activities available on Planet M&M. A) it's pretty ridiculous that someone spent this much time (can you even imagine the hours logged?) creating such an interactive site for a $1.00 candy. B) it's pretty damn smart that someone just got me to spend time hanging out with their product. I don't spend 3 seconds looking at an ad in a magazine (unless it's for something I really need, ok?) but in spite of the fact that I think that hair on candy is gross, I remembered their commercial, I sought out their website, and I made myself into a candy-coated chocolate.

As my wine marketing instructor (and founder of Balzac Communications) Paul Wagner would ask, "Yes, but DOES IT SELL CANDY?" I don't know, does it?

No comments: