Wednesday, May 30, 2007

How Would Jesus Dance?

Great poster, eh? Nice art, cool, vibrant colors. This poster, posted at my gym, is for a musical performance at Pacific Union College, in Angwin. It is a "religious" school. The official looking ratings box at the bottom says this: "WARNING: This show is rated PAC (Progressive Adventist Culture) and contains dancing as a form of healthy expression." Whoa! Dancing! WITH singing?? That would be so far beyond my conservative ken as to be shocking. I cannot go.

Can Adventists watch American Idol as long as the contestants don't dance? What about Dancing with the Stars? Do they secretly covet the mambo in the privacy of their own homes? Can they they themselves dance in the privacy of their own homes, or only if they are married? I have many questions.

Here's what I do know: if you hire young Adventists to work for you in a restaurant, they always get Fridays and Saturdays off without question, and are often seen taking part in the forbidden activity (don't make me say it again) in the city somewhere between sabbath sundowns, and now and again also somehow manage to be hungover on Sundays. Hmmmm.....I could get used to that Progressive Adventist Culture.

I am not particularly reverent, especially in the face of the convenience of religous hypocrisy. I had to laugh out loud at this poster, and at the same time, I could see that this is how religions and societies get changed. One decade, it's PAC, but the next generation will be saying, "Remember how our grandparents thought it was sinful to dance?" See ya, Ellen G! Pretty soon, they'll be drinking Coca-Colas and wearing jewelry, too!

No comments: