Thursday, January 31, 2008

Juno

My friend Lisa and I went to see Juno last night. A charming little movie, very funny. Despite a very specific (and common) technical fault that I promise to rant in depth about later, I really enjoyed it. Part of the way through, I realized I'd had too much water to drink and had to take a break, but I didn't want to miss anything, so I tried to pick a time when the main character wasn't in the scene to go. Hilariously odd dialogue, heart-rendingly geeky and unique characters. Weird, but in a way that I like. Highly recommended. Joe Bob says check it out.

(Ok, Joe Bob most likely does not say check it out, but I used to read his reviews of kung-fu and slasher films in the Chronicle's Pink Section every week, so the phrase just pops into my mind when I think about movie reviews. There is no anything-fu, and no gratuitous nakedity in this movie.)

Part of what I enjoyed about the evening was our little Cameo Cinema, the St. Helena theater. It only holds about 100 people, if that, and was in danger of closing recently. It was restored less than 10 years ago, and now has lavender velvet seats, including special double "cuddle" seats in the back rows, beautiful blown-glass sconces along the walls, and a purple velvet curtain. Vintage movie posters hang in the foyer, and the ladies room is papered with vintage black and white movie star head shots.

The owners who so lovingly renovated the theater had decided to retire, and for a long time, it looked like our wonderful little Cameo might be closed. Then some nice folks came forward and are really putting their hearts into it. It was so charming last night when they came out before the movie and made some announcements, thanked us all for coming, and asked us to pick up our own popcorn containers. St. Helena may be an up-market small town, but it's still a small town. I wouldn't see a movie anywhere else.

No comments: