Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The More I See the Less I Know

this photo was on this website, but I'm sure they found it somewhere else

The other day, I asked my co-worker what her name would be if she could have a different name than the one she was given. She thought about it a little bit and said, "I have always liked the name Jolene." I asked her what her middle name would be, and while she was thinking, I said, "Jolene always reminds me of that Dolly Parton song, "Jolene, Jolene..." and started to sort of sing it. "Jolene Jolene?" she asked, as though that was the suggestion for first and middle-- which we found hilarious.

"And the last?" "Clooney." she said without hesitation.

It took me a second to figure out that she picked Clooney not because it sounded especially beautiful with Jolene Jolene (what wouldn't?), but because it would mean she was married to George. But "Jolene Jolene Clooney" is also hilarious. We cracked up every time we thought of it the rest of the afternoon.

The next day, she realized she had forgotten to ask me my choices.
I haven't thought about it in a long time, but I always envied plain, straightforward names that people could easily spell and pronounce. Like Jane.
And that's the end of the story.

Best regards,
Jane Jane Kiedis

PS- There is WAY too much color on this page now. Time to change palettes.

No comments: