Thursday, April 5, 2007

Today

Today is a busy, busy day. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays I work at home. For various reasons, most of my clients are temporarily at bay this week, so I decided to get some household things done. It's not even noon and I've walked the dog, roasted the last of the winter kabocha and butternut squashes (some of these will be cubed for an Indian dish tonight, and the rest will be pureed for custards and pies in the fall), baked an angel food cake, documented in photos and movies said angel food cake, cleaned and reorganized the pantry, the fridge, and the brew-house aka spare bathroom... and pre-soaked and washed my garden/market basket which had gotten moldy hanging outside.

Next, I must make myself some lunch, take the cake out of the oven, clean and line the lazy susan cupboard, remove the light covers in the kitchen and clean them (how DO the bugs get in there?) then I'll work my way down the hall to the linen closet and the office. I may mass produce some burritos or bake a quiche. Gotta use up some tortillas and some veggie-box produce.

I am in need of one of those graduated organizers so that I can keep my current project folders in view. Still end up with odds and ends of things I can't throw away but don't know quite what to do with. After the office is clean, I may go to the gym. That would probably be best for me. But I'm tempted to go to Target or Staples instead to get one of those organizer things.

Today was just a day to deal with all of those little things that bug me during the rest of the week. How many times do I look at those light covers and think that I ought to clean them, and then I don't? How many times do I shove the clean sheets into any available odd-shaped crevice in the linen closet, but I don't straighten it? How many times have I looked at those squashes sitting on the back porch and thought a)those contribute to the overall junky look, and b) if I don't cook them, they are going to rot. And so on.

Here's another example: I keep cutting boards on top of my refrigerator, between the food processor and the mixer. The liquor bottles used to be up there, too, which was a) unnecessarily cluttered, and b) a recipe for potential disaster if a light cutting board was removed, causing a heavy cutting board to fall over and hit the food processor bowl, which in turn could knock over one or more bottles of booze. (This was the use-periodically booze, like Grand Marnier, Fernet, Bacardi. The gin is safely in the freezer at all times.) I can't tell you how many times I put up with that juggling act. I found a home for the bottles in another cupboard, and yesterday, I bought myself an inexpensive set of bookends at IKEA. Now my cutting boards are secure. Aaaah. Order calms.
And the bell just rang to go check the angel food cake...

Self portrait in angel food cake pan.

No comments: