Thursday, July 23, 2009

I Have Issues

I have issues. Oh, yes I do. And while I've curbed my catalog habit and have cut my magazine subscriptions down to one or two (currently Family Fun, which I'm going to cancel, and Photoshopuser, which comes with my NAPP membership), I still have magazines. I like to buy the latest Bust, and ReadyMade if I see something that interests me. And I like to refer to them often for inspiration and amusement.

BEFORE:

So, following the Assess, De-junk, Renew philosophy of organization

(Jeezus Mary and Josephine, is that guy outside done weed-whacking YET?!)

...following the methodology of Assess, De-junk, Renew, I took stock of my stacks, measured my mags and decided a trip to IKEA was in order, for a narrow shelf that would fit in the space between my window seat and my existing bookshelf. I've tried to purchase matching bookshelves each time so that when we move, they can be reconfigured to fit the necessary space. Billy and I go way back. Billy Birch, to be more precise. I was a little dismayed to find that the new birch shelf did not match the old birch shelves when I got it home, but I am hoping they will all darken to the same tone over time.

A little bit of assembly, another trip to Cost Plus for the cute folding magazine holders (made of 100% recycled paper) and voila, an organized magazine space and a cozy, well-lit reading nook. Next step is to get up there and attach the reading light and fasten all of these shelves to the wall so that they don't crush me if there is ever an earthquake.

AFTER:



The folders that you see on the second shelf up from the bottom are where I keep clippings from magazines. It keeps me from saving a whole magazine for one article. When I'm feeling like I need some clothes, or something for the house, I flip through the clippings and reacquaint myself with the things I like. If I can't figure out what it was I liked in the first place, I throw the page away. It's a rotating scrapbook of style and ideas.

I was also casually looking for a cheap wine rack to hold all of my rolled paper goods (wrapping paper, posters, paper samples, etc.) but I didn't find what I was looking for, so I made this one out of the box that the shelves came in. Bonus! It's not pretty, but it's in a hidden spot and it keeps things from falling on the fax machine.


(I collect vintage train cases, btw, so if anyone has one or finds one at a yard sale that looks like the ones you see here, send me a picture and I'll pay postage to get it here. I like squarish cases, leather and funky, 60s florals a big plus. Beach colors are good, but I like 'em all.)

No comments: