Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events



Unfortunate Turkey + Live Power Lines = Early Morning Power Outage + Turkey Dinner for Coyote

This morning, we (meaning Mike) were awakened by a loud boom, close to the house. Mike went to take a drive around the property and saw poor, pretty, dead Mr. Turkey in a pool of blood just under and past the power lines, with a big singed hole in his/her chest. Ah, life in the country.

While Mike drove around the property checking on breakers and guests, I whipped out the camp stove and got the coffee pot ready. Mike made coffee and eggs for breakfast at the picnic table, and I took a shower then walked the dog, who was extremely interested in checking out the dead turkey. PG&E was here in a flash and got everything turned back on.

Today is the Napa Valley Marathon, which started at 7 am. (Did you hear about the new "No Headphones" rule?) I don't know how long it takes, but I think just about this long, so I think if I walk down to the road now, I'll just be able to see them. Beautiful day today, fairly windy but sunny and cool. Just about perfect for running. It's really quite nice, because there are no cars on Silverado Trail--very quiet and peaceful this morning. Except for the wind... and the occasional exploding turkey.

No comments: