Thursday, February 8, 2007

Just in Case You Were Wondering

Here is the best picture I could manage this evening of the knee. Looking pretty good. Almost there. Not back up on the board yet, but ready to prepare to prepare to get on it.

On a totally different subject, when my hands start looking really ratty and neglected, I do this: I buy a Revlon nail whitener pencil and use it after I get out of the shower. I push my cuticles back with a towel or the non-writing end of a pen after a shower or good lotioning, when they are softer. Last, I get this lotion, and I use it in the evening while I'm watching television, or anytime I think of it during the day. When my nails grow out a bit, I might file them into a bit of a shape, or cut them short and even, and voila, normal hands. The first three things can be accomplished in a day or two and make a big difference. I am the queen of low-to-no maintenance when it comes to nails. I gave up polish on my hands about the same time I gave up pantyhose, and for the same reason-- they both suffocate me. I still wear nude or pink-tinted polish on my toes, especially in summer, because my toenails just aren't that nice looking naked. I think the nail pencil is sort of a relic- sometimes they can be hard to find. They used to be called "French" pencils, I think because that was how a French manicure was accomplished before all of this silly fake tip painting. (Sorry if anyone reading this-- I think there might be three of you-- has silly fake white tips painted on their nails, doubly sorry if it's on your toenails.) I recently saw a doctor who explained to me that the uneasiness and fidgety feelings that occur towards the end of one's cycle occur because progestin (the contentment hormone) drops and estrogen (the energy hormone) stays steady. I think during this time, I start to look around and see things that need fixing, like, for example, nails...or husbands. Things that felt fine yesterday suddenly feel slightly out of control, and the first thing to do is find small things that can be controlled, like nails, and unlike husbands, and get them, well, nailed down.

No comments: