Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Me, Meet....Me

I have a truly modern dilemma: somehow I have created two Facebook profiles. So some of my "friends" are attached to one profile, and the other half to the other... I don't know how to merge them or if this is at all possible, so I decided to try to become friends with myself. Then at least my friends would have a mutual acquaintance.

So, I sent myself a friend request. Simple enough. When it arrived in the email box that both of me share, we gladly accepted it. Except I was already logged in as the me who had sent the request, so I had to log out and log in as me again. In order to do that, I have to log in with my log-in email, which is exactly the same as the other one. So it thinks I'm just me again, poking around the same profile with the same friends. It became necessary to change "my" contact email and send a confirmation to "myself" so that "I" could then accept the change of email address and log in as "me".

Tapping the keys gingerly, I logged in. But until I confirm my change of email to my alternate email, I must still log in with my original email. Which takes me to..........my original profile. I can search myself on Facebook (who started this stupid site, anyway?) and find both of myselves, but only one of me is now accessible by me. The other one is off-limits to anyone but me.

This all came about because a year or so ago, I put up a rudimentary Facebook page just to see what would happen. NOTHING did. Nothing. For a really long time. So I canceled my page. Apparently one of the ways they (oh, those evil they) get you hooked is by leaving your name in the files, even if you go away, so that as your former friends and long-lost stalkers are sitting in their cubicles, staring at the clock at 3:18 on a Wednesday afternoon, after clipping all the binder clips within arm's reach to each other, they can type your name in and unknowingly entice you to rejoin. Again and again. Sort of like stepping in gum.

So, my message is this: If you are looking for me, and you find me on Facebook, just pick the me with the friends you like the look of best, and you can be part of that group. If you want to gossip about me to me, I can't wait to hear the dirt. I have been very naughty lately, or so I've heard.

Or, better, send me your email address as a comment to this blog if you don't know my email address, and I will answer you and we can be friends, and not "friends". If I don't answer you, you can always try my evil twin.

Love,
Tam

No comments: