Thursday, May 8, 2008

One Week, One Bag

Ah, the joy of packing. Here's what I know: 1) I will attempt to create a multitude of outfit possibilities a la Glamour magazine, and 2) I will end up wearing less than a third of what I take, not including bathing suits.

I think about the features I've seen in magazines over the years about how to look fabulous on a week's vacation wearing only what you can stuff in a carry-on-- and can't remember a word. I pack demure, light-colored, long-sleeved skin-savers, crisp capris and carefree scarves (ok, maybe not "carefree" scarves), and within three days in the heat and humidity, I am strapless, sleeveless, and pants-legless, going to the grocery store in a swimsuit, cotton dress and flip-flops. And that's how I spend the remainder of my vacation. Calmer, tanner (sorry to Iga, and to my face) and less worried about how far from the mark of beach beauty I may be. As long as I stay far away from mirrors and any plate glass windows lurking near the scorching sidewalks, I'm good.

So I start out with oh, a pair of shorts, three light overshirts, a couple of t-shirts, five pairs of underwear, two bras and three swimsuits. Two pairs of socks. Running shoes and two pairs of flip-flops. Tevas. (Almost forgot those!) That covers strolling, hiking, and running, as well as walking on rocks to get to a snorkel (snorkle? snorgle? blbbblpp?) spot. Rash guards for swimming and surfing. Paddling/surf shorts for kayaking and surfing. A sweater or wrap for chilly evenings. (All 30 minutes of it.) Oh, then what if my pedicure chips? Nail polish. What if I get a sunburn? Aloe. Lotion. And on and on.

And then I ran out of time and had to go to bed because I had to get up at four in the morning. Don't hate me because I am going on vacation.

Here are some people who are better packers than I am: One Bag One World,
Pack light and happy

In honor of Mothers' Day: If famous people had had Jewish mothers.

Happy Mothers Day MOM, GRANDMA, Kristin, Karen, Tani, Tyla, Angela, Seena, Ann, Enza, Jen, Heather, Ali and anyone who in my bleary-eyed haste I have forgotten (forgive me!). You are all an inspiration to me. Keep fighting the good fight.

No comments: