Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Taking a Header

You know, I just put this new header up for no other reason than this dahlia photo, from the San Francisco Conservatory of Flowers, taken by me, is my favorite photo of the moment. I have my screen saver set to source from this album and change the image every 30 minutes (a gentle timekeeping system). Every time this one comes up, I have to minimize my windows and just look at it for a minute.

But when I sat down and wrote the title, it reminded me of when my good friend Tani's Japanese cousin Miki came to visit (I think I'm remembering it right) and we, well, probably I, tried to explain some metaphors to her, like "eating sh*t," "biting it," etc.. I'm sure there were more, and as I recall, they were mostly food and eating related, and involved falling or crashing. I'm sure she wields them confidently now as she drunkenly ricochets her way down the alleys and ski slopes of Japan like a pachinko ball, eating sh*t, biting it, and taking headers as she goes. Hope she doesn't have a "yard sale"!

Then I thought of the story of Tani's dear grandfather, who complained that American toothpaste tasted terrible. It was discovered that Grandpa had been brushing his teeth with the tube of Head and Shoulders. Head and Shoulders. Used to come in a tube. Prell, too. Yeah, I'm that old. I used to have records, too.

No comments: