Thursday, March 29, 2007

Speechless

This was really moving to me. The first paragraph that appears is a little confusing because it relates to something I don't have context for, but give it a minute until the explanation of the picture appears. There is music, so turn it off if it bugs you.

We think of history, and life, as so big. Yet everything that has ever happened (or ever will) has occurred on this tiny pale blue dot, seen from a distance. Even now, as I add these notes, I find myself getting teary-eyed. When I see it from Voyager's perspective, I miss it already. It really is home. Our planet might be alone and silent in this glittering darkness--full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. I think it frustrates my mother that I can be an atheist. But to me, things like this make our very existence magical, and every moment even more precious.

*This was another example of the strange connections that occur via the web. I was searching for the site of Robert Chunn who sold me my awesome new paintings, when I came across another link to a site where his name was mentioned. That link went to the blog of a Qabalah student (that is how he spelled it) and artist who happens to live in Turlock, where I lived and graduated from college. And on his site was the link above, to the picture of our earth as seen from the Voyager spacecraft as it exited our solar system. There were also some links to some seriously lousy art by others. I don't want to name names, but it was the kind of painting which is so bad that it is made worse by naming it.

No comments: